For a printable version, click here
OXFORD WOMEN’S LEAGUE — 2018 LEAGUE RULES & REGULATIONS
1. Team captains must have player’s registration form in hand for a player to be eligible to play in a game.
2. Registration deadline for adding new players is 3 weeks after the first game of the League’s season.
3. No metal cleats are allowed. Rubber cleats are permitted.
4. Games are scheduled for 7 innings.
5. Base lengths are 65 feet.
6. League officials may cancel the game due to inclement weather up to two hours prior to the scheduled start of the game. Team captains will be notified of any cancellations.
If no call is made by the designated times, the teams should show up at the field by game time ready to play. Rescheduled games will be played on next available open field, date and time. Captains will be notified by committee.
7. A team may field up to (10) ten players in whatever positions they desire (e.g. Outfielders, Short, Center, etc)
8. At least (8) eight players on a team are required or else the game will be forfeited. No mandatory out is in effect for the missing 9th or 10th player. However, there is a mandatory out if the number of players in the lineup is reduced after the start of the game.
9. If a team has only 8 players, they may, if the other team agrees, borrow a player from the other team for catching only. (No defensive plays or batting)
10. There is no grace period. If a team has the required number of players the game should start at the scheduled time.
11. A $44 forfeit fee is in effect. A team will lose their forfeit fee if they forfeit more than 1 game (either at the field or before the umpire can be notified to not incur a fee).
12. Every player on the team should play at least two (2) innings of every game and come to bat at least once. The only exception to this rule is the position of “Extra Player” who does not have to take the field but must bat at least once.
13. League pitching is “slow pitch” with a high arc between 6 and 10 feet at the arc. No windmill pitching is allowed. The pitcher does not have to be in contact with the pitchers plate during the delivery of the pitch, however, the pitcher may not begin their pitch in front of the pitching rubber but may either be in contact with the rubber or begin approximately 5′ behind the rubber, not to exceed 50′ from home plate.
14. The batter starts with a 1-1 count. If the batter fouls on the third strike, they are permitted one more foul before the batter is called out.
15. The use of multi-walled, z-core, c-core, and composite bats is prohibited. As per USA rule, a batter found using a banned bat will be called out and disqualified from the game and if in a tournament, may be disqualified for the remainder of the tournament.
16. No pinch hitter.
17. No bunting or stealing is permitted.
18. A lead from any base may only be taken after the ball is hit or the ball has crossed home plate.
19. The Infield Fly Rule applies. (When the umpire calls an infield fly, the batter is automatically out and the runners may advance at their own risk)
20. Any base runner may “Tag-Up” on a caught fly ball.
21. Substitute runners are only allowed for medical restrictions or injuries. These substitutions will be called “Injury Runners” and must be declared at ground rules. When a player is declared an injury runner, she must remain an injury runner for the duration of the game. Injuries occurring during the game can be declared at that time. The substitute runner must be the player who has made the last out. An injury runner can run more than once in an inning if they are the last out. The original batter must attain at least one base before the substitute runner is allowed to run. There are no “courtesy runners” or “pinch runners”. There is no limit to the number of injury runners.
22. Free substitution rule is in effect allowing players taken out of the game to return to the game. Any player returning to the game must bat in the original batting order.
23. Center School Parking Lot Rule: If a ball hit, rolls into the parking lot at Center School untouched, it is a Home Run (regardless of whether it goes under a car or not). If it is touched before reaching the parking lot, then play the ball. If it rolls under a car after it has been touched, then it is the umpire’s discretion of how many bases the runner is awarded.
24. The fifteen (15) run “Mercy Rule” is in effect. Any game may be called if any team is winning by fifteen (15) or more runs after the completion of 4 ½ innings.
25. Lightning Rule: When Lightning appears the game will be stopped and will not resume until 30 minutes after last reported lightning in the area.
This is the umpire’s discretion.
26. A game called by the umpire shall be regulation if five or more complete innings have been played, or if the team second at bat has scored more runs in four or more innings than the other team has scored in five or more innings. Games that are not considered regulation shall be resumed at the exact point where they were stopped.
27. If a player is ejected from the game by the umpire for any reason, the league will impose a one game suspension on that player.
28. There shall be no independent rescheduling of games by agreement between team captains. Changes will only be made by decision of the league board.
29. If there is a tie for first place, seeding will be determined first by Head-to-Head, then a play-off game. If there is a tie between any other place, seeding will be determined first by Head-to-Head, then total runs scored against each other, then a coin toss.
30. There shall be NO alcohol consumed by players during their games and absolutely no alcohol on the bench. Alcohol needs to be kept out of field of play and out of the bench area, and out of the area covered inside the ground rules prior to start of the game.
31. Final interpretation of all league rules is the sole responsibility of the umpires.
Revised March 2018
For a printable version, click here